A homemade tortilla is really made in a blink, now I wonder why one would buy a it in a store. It is quickly prepared and costs almost nothing if you do it by yourself. I never thought about making my own wheat tortillas before, because I was convinced it is super difficult or better to say not doable at home at all.
It is really so simple to make homemade wheat tortillas, from just two ingredients. You can make tortilla with every kind of flour, I tried to use white flour some time ago. This time I took whole wheat flour and it worked just as well as with white flour. Next time I will give a go for a gluten free version, with buckwheat flour. We will see if it will work without having to add any wheat flour.
Here is what you need to make 6 tortillas:
- 250g whole wheat flour
- 125ml water
- Some salt
- Put flour into the bowl and add gradually luke warm water (you might need more or less water, add water until you get a smooth dough consistency).
- Knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll as flat as possible.
- Heat a coated pan under medium heat.
- Cook the wrap in the pan until it forms bubbles, leave it for few seconds and then flip.
- Keep it warm between two towels.
- These goodies are also great to freeze.