Recently I am totally in love with spiced porridge for breakfast. As I am on I quit sugar program for the 6th week, I have learned through the time, that there are many other ways to add taste and sweetness to your meals than putting sugar in. I am a big porridge lover, even in Summer, usually with some berries on the top. During I quit sugar program you are not allowed to eat anything with added sugar or even fruit, as it contains fructose, for 4 weeks. It was therefore a big challenge for me to somehow make my porridge taste yummy, without adding fruits or dates, for sweetness.
With help of different great tips during this program, I worked out a super tasty porridge recipe without any sugar added. For sweetness I just added different spices and some coconut. You wouldn’t believe, but it indeed gave enough sweetness, you won’t miss the sweetness in this recipe at all. Your sense of taste will be busy with all the spiciness.
And here is the recipe:
- 1 cup oats
- 20 g shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- 1 cup hazelnut milk (or any other milk)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ all spices
- 1tsp flax seeds
- Combine oats with with 1 cup water, hazelnut milk, coconut and spices.
- Bring it to the boil, reduce the heat to very low and cook for about 10 minutes or until oats are ready.
- Serve with some more milk, yoghurt, lemon juice, shredded coconut, flax seeds or berries if you wish.