As you may have noticed, I really love quick recipes. Warm salads with some kind of grains and vegetables are the best choice, if you want a quick and deliciouse meal. I love that I can throw whatever I wish or just what I have in the fridge and as a result I enjoy a salad which tastes different every time. Sometimes I am surprised how well some products go together. In this recipe I added a stick of cinnamon into quinoa pot and it gave a wonderful flavour. Also za’atar spice mix was a perfect match. Za’atar is a mixture of thyme, sesame seeds and other spices, it tasted wonderfully mixed together with cinnamon. Here is the recipe, you can of course make it with other vegetables and substitute beans with chickpeas or lentil.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ butternut pumpkin
- 3 medium turnips
- 1 head of romanesco broccoli
- 150 g kidney beans
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp za'atar
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- Place the quinoa in a pot with double the amount of water, some salt and the stick of cinnamon. Cook for 20 minutes or see the package instructions. Shortly before quinoa is ready, add cooked or canned beans.
- Cut pumpkin and turnip into small cubes and place on an oven tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with some salt.
- Put romanesco into the pot and once the water came to the boil, turn the heat off and drain romanesco.
- Once vegetables and quinoa mixture is ready, mix everything together, season with za'atar spice mixture and sprinkle with lemon juice.