Inspired by greenkitchenstories.com Millet and Pumpkin Winter Salad, this beautiful, full of flavour Pearl Barley and Roasted Vegetable Salad was born. I truly love this kind of salad, because it is a perfect way to use what you have in your fridge or pantry, without any need of buying fancy ingredients. Or if you have some roasted vegetable leftovers, than this recipe is ideal for you too. You will just have to cook some grain and mix everything with super easy and yummy dressing.
If you have nothing left at home, no problem, it is still a perfect way of having a cheap meal, just buy what ever is on offer in your organic food store or on farmers market.
All you have to do for this recipe is to cook the grains of your choice, roast vegetables and mix with the dressing.
For the salad:
1 cup pearl barley
1 butternut pumpkin
2 medium turnips
1 head of romanesco broccoli
1 avocado, cubed
2 handfuls of salad (I prefer rocket salad)
2 handfuls of seedless grapes, halved
1 tbsp roasted hazelnuts or other nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 glove garlic
1/2 lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp water
1 handful chopped basil
- Soak pearl barley overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse pearl barley. Cook for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- Cut pumpkin and turnip into small cubes and place on an oven tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with some salt.
- Place in the oven and roast on 200C for about 20 minutes or until browning. 10 minutes before vegetables are ready, place hazelnuts in the oven and roast until skin cracks.
- Rub the hazelnuts in a towel, to remove the skin, chop roughly.
- Prepare grapes, avocado, romanesco and salad. Mix the dressing.
- Put everything in a bowl and pour over the dressing. Mix salad with your hands until everything is covered with the dressing.